Perhaps you’ve heard the term “parent café” and, as a professional who works with families, wanted to learn more about how to offer one in your community.
The Ohio Children’s Trust Fund offers training resources in the parent café model to help you provide this service. We have developed training materials and have experienced trainers throughout Ohio who can educate your organization about various aspects of parent cafés.
About the Training
The training covers the essentials you’ll need to know to successfully offer a parent café program. Those include:
- Understanding the goals of the parent café model.
- How a parent café is structured, including the agenda, set-up, session plans, and supplies you’ll need.
- Topics for parent cafés.
- Roles you’ll need for a parent café.
- Location considerations.
- What to think about when scheduling a parent café.
Some Basics About Parent Cafés
A parent café is a place where parents of all types can gather and share their stories, their experiences, their worries, their fears, their wisdom, and find community and strength together. Through open communication, they become places of affirmation where parents can learn that they are not alone in their struggles with managing their families and households.
As a family-serving professional, you can be there to help introduce parents and start the conversations. Parent cafés also provide an opportunity for you to help connect parents to resources to help solve problems they might face. For example, if a parent struggles with getting to appointments, you might help them find transportation.
As a professional, you also can help parents learn about protective factors to strengthen their families. These include
- Being more resilient as parents
- Forging positive social relationships
- Learning to create concrete support networks
- Increasing their knowledge of parenting and child development
- Improving their communication skills
How to Find Resources
You also may be able to apply for funding to support a parent café or other evidence-based program in your community. Check our Current Opportunities to see what funding opportunities may be available.